26 January 2010

Tuesday's Letters

Letters

There is nothing quite like receiving a letter, and nothing quite like writing one.  In Thomas Moore's Soul Mates, he talks about how writing a letter invites the soul into the every day and how it is one of the last things in modern society that we seal and intend for one...it provides a natural boundary and encourages us to think of those we are writing with imagination, since they are not actually standing right before us as in conversation.

"Letters take time, usually much more time than talk.  They require a certain level of artfulness and thoughtfulness in expression...Ordinarily in letters, we do not ramble on and on, as we can in speech.  We chose our words more carefully...these everyday aesthetic judgment give art to letters and it is art above all that opens a channel to the soul."

I've had the pleasure of a happy mailbox the last few months, and some of my favorite stationary makes it to the refrigerator to remind me of the relationship and the beauty in post.  The one on my fridge right now is a quote from Elizabeth Cady Stanton, one of the main figures in the women's suffrage movement.  She says to me via my friend Umber, "Come, Come my conservative friend.  Wipe the dew off your spectacles and see the world is moving."





Maybe sometime this week, you can turn off the various screens clamoring for your attention and treat yourself to some time with your loved ones and yourself.

5 comments:

Idée Géniale said...

thanks for visiting my blog!
ps: my name is Mel.
see, you didn't have to wait for friday!

The Noisy Plume said...

I've been a letter writer since grade four...some might call me obsessed when it comes to the post. In point of fact, I actually crave letter writing. Thanks for this great link. Umbie sent me a card from the same stationary family and it is also on MY fridge.

UmberDove said...

I bet you two could guess where the third in that series now lives...

Kate Moore said...

I've been reading books based on the letters between great friends and lovers. It's such an interesting and personal insight into their lives and times.

she said...

i have it. i have it. i have the third. it stands amongst the fragile solid glass bottle forest of my perfumes...

i love you three women, my wings, my hearts away from home...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails